This may sound quite an extreme scenario, there are foods not just composition of pesticides or chemicals, but these 5 natural foods have the ability to kill you.
Don’t worry about consuming these foods in your daily life. While some should be avoided at all costs, others are just a matter of learning how much to eat, and how to prepare them.
Here are the 5 natural foods that can take a toll on your health:
Shellfish are not a fish, in fact, they are closely related crustacean family (shrimps, crab, lobsters). It is one of the most common food to cause allergies in children.
Most shellfish are filter-feeders that produce shellfish toxins after ingesting toxic algae, such as dino-flagellates. These toxins will accumulate in the bodies of shellfish, especially in their viscera. Moreover, Shellfish toxins are heat stable and cannot be destroyed via cooking or processing. During the cooking process, toxins may be transferred to the cooking juices.
In addition, as the toxins do not release unpleasant smell, we are not able to tell if the shellfish are toxic from their appearance. No wonder some of the religious books such as Old testament forbids eating Shellfish and Interestingly, Native Americans warned early settlers to avoid consuming it.
Nutmeg is the spice made from the seed of the fragrant nutmeg (Myristica fragrans) tree. It is used to flavor many kinds of baked goods, confectionaries.
In low doses, Nutmeg doesn’t produce any noticeable effect. However, In large doses, Nutmeg does produce psychoactive effects due to the presence of Myristicin in it.
Nutmeg toxicity has been reported numerous times associated with persons who are using the spice in an attempt to induce cheap hallucinations though there were no confirmed death reports because of its consumption.
Generally, peanuts are a good source of nutrition. But sometimes contaminated peanuts are difficult to observe especially from inside to it.
These peanuts contain aflatoxins, a carcinogenic substance, which could potentially harmful to children if consumption is unnoticed for a period time and their exposure can lead to stunted growth and delayed development.
These Aflatoxins are produced by certain molds (Aspergillus flavus) which grow in soil and its presence in peanuts aren’t completely eliminated but with a tolerable limit, peanuts are quite safe to have.
Ackee belongs to soapberry family (lychee, longan), Next time if you come across this fruit, you need to wait till it ripe. The unripened or inedible portions of the fruit contain the toxin hypoglycin A and hypoglycin B which is known to cause acute sickness.
Clinically this conditioned is called Jamaican vomiting sickness and these effects occur only when unripe fruit is consumed.
Rhubarb is from Polygonaceae family. these bright ruby-red stalks appear to be like celery (though it is not), mainly used in jam, pie, crumbles, and tarts.
Rhubarb roots are also used as a laxative in traditional Chinese medicine. This widely used plant also contains oxalic acid, a corrosive acid, which is used in bleach removal.
According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine. Eating rhubarb leaves can potentially lead to side effects like burning in your mouth and throat, nausea, vomiting, convulsions—even death.
Author: Sherin Williams